The Medical Technologist I, General Laboratory is a supportive member of the healthcare team in providing internal and external client/partners with high quality and cost-effective laboratory services in the delivery of patient care. He/she is responsible in carefully obtaining human specimens, processing and performing laboratory diagnostic tests ranging from simple to complex procedures and releasing precise and accurate laboratory results in the areas of Clinical Chemistry, Hematology, Immunology and Serology, Hematology & Serology, Hematology and StatLab, OPD Laboratory & Phlebotomy and Clinical Microscopy
- Performs simple to complex chemical, biological, hematological, immunologic and microscopic tests by manual and automated methods in accordance with the instructions in the technical procedure manuals. Conducts pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical tests on various sample types, in accordance with established protocols.
- Ensures that all procedures are charged accordingly before performing any analytical tests to avoid wastages and repeats.
- Receives endorsements and completes work assignment from previous shifts and gives endorsements to the following shift to avoid work disruptions.
- Follows through with any incomplete procedures to ensure continuity of care.
- Facilitates send out of samples to and follow up of results from accredited reference hospitals and laboratories, with proper documentation.
- Processes unknown test samples for external quality proficiency testing, to be reviewed and validated by the immediate supervisor.
- Performs calibration and quality testing according to established protocols prior to performing patient samples. Analyzes quality control data and initiates QC troubleshooting to correct errors.
- Reviews and validates test results, correlating results with diagnosis and demographics criteria for accuracy.
- Distinguishes between normal and abnormal test results, refers results to pathologists and communicates to physician/concerned hospital personnel critical results with proper documentation.
- Facilitates distribution of validated results to appropriate parties concerned, as necessary.
- Operates laboratory equipment and analyzers to maximize efficiency and minimize downtime.
- Maintains routine performance check and calibration of laboratory equipment, both analyzers and non-analyzers and keeps records of maintenance according to established policies and procedures.
- Performs basic troubleshooting, when necessary, all applicable instruments/equipment in the general laboratory in a proficient manner, to ensure uninterrupted delivery of service.
- Communicates with sales and technical support personnel of companies any issues and concerns pertaining to equipment or reagents, to ensure smooth and uninterrupted service.
INVENTORY AND RECORDS MANAGEMENT
- Documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Documents appropriate readings, work-ups and communications with other healthcare givers on the test requisition forms/worksheets for reference.
- Records all results of controls and standards for quality reports and for creation of graphs.
- Logs all send outs in the laboratory send out folder promptly and properly for reference.
- Receives reagents/supplies delivered in the absence of the Stock Custodian, ensures that items delivered have expiration dates and lot numbers and ensures proper storage to avoid spoiling, maintain quality and integrity.
- Utilizes judiciously reagents/supplies, ensures that all reagents/test kits have dates received/expiration and reports last box opened to Stock Custodian in the inventory endorsement log for replenishment of stocks.
- Monitors and logs consumption of reagents and supplies in specific section assigned to avoid wastage, pilferage or loss.
- Reports promptly near expiry kits and supplies to Stock Custodian for proper coordination with concerned supplier/vendor.
CRITICAL THINKING ABILITY
- Recognizes emergency situations and takes appropriate actions in a timely manner.
- Informs immediate supervisor of such situations and actions taken.
- Identifies problems which may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results.
- Refers problems/issues to immediate supervisor for proper resolution.
- Handles problems not resolved by parties involved and acts as an intermediary for situations before bringing them to the attention of the Superior
- Prepares incident reports with corresponding root cause analysis, corrective and preventive actions for faster resolution of variances and implementation of measures for process improvement.
- Demonstrates ability to design, innovate and adopt new strategies, processes and techniques to improve quality of service.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains a safe and clean work area by bench disinfection before and after work and managing hazardous wastes/chemicals and disposing of potentially dangerous instruments and reagents in accordance with the institution’s established procedures.
- Exercises care and prudence in using clinical laboratory equipment and devices.
- Exercises care and safety in handling infectious and biologically active specimens by strictly following PPE (personal protective equipment) protocols.
- Assists other laboratory staff when assigned work is completed, as an exercise in teamwork.
- Maintains patient confidentiality at all times.
- Attends monthly staff meetings to contribute or suggest methods for process improvement, as required.
- Shows complete attendance to all programs, workshops, trainings and seminars initiated and sponsored by the institution.
- Participates in seminars and convention given by Philippine Association of Medical Technologists (PAMET) and other related professional organizations as assigned.
- Supports staff development activities of the department and conducts ECHO talk after attending seminars and conventions.
- Performs parallel testing of new equipment/analyzers under direct supervision of the Section Supervisor and submits end-user feedbacks for evaluation purposes.
- Keeps professional license and society membership valid by renewing ahead of time in compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements.
- Performs willingly and consistently other related duties as required.
- At least a graduate of Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Science or Public Health
- Registered with Professional Regulations Commission (PRC) Board of Medical Technology
- Preferably with six (6) months experience as Medical Technologist in a hospital or diagnostic clinic setting
- At least six months or 1 year internship -Member of Philippine Association of Medical Technologists (PAMET)
- Microsoft Office
- Employee Health Benefit Plan (Employees and Dependents)
- Group Life Insurance
- Service Incentive Leave
- Free Parking